Our questions have been answered, Spartan Assault is a new Halo game!
Is this the Halo universe finally becoming like a Mario Kart cash in? It's up for debate as Halo is finally (!) jumping beyond the Xbox console on to the Microsoft Windows 8 platform. What does this mean? There's a new Halo game for PC and tablets that use the MS software.
Is this a good thing for Halo fans? Probably. Will this make the cynics roll their eyes at the cash grab that Halo is? Yes but does any one really care when there is more Halo to be had?
Halo: Spartan Assault looks to be a modern day arcade adventure game - as a watched the trailer I was reminded of the game Commando which I used to play for hours on the Commodore 64 - and if Spartan Assault is half as fun as that game, Halo fans should be well pleased with this latest offering.
343's official description of the game:
Available only for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, Halo: Spartan Assault is a new top-down action shooter that brings a Halo video game to touch-based devices for the first time in franchise history. Developed by 343 Industries in conjunction with Vanguard Games, Halo: Spartan Assault provides an accessible, pick-up-and-play experience for fans and newcomers alike.
- Original "Halo" gameplay. An action-packed, single-player campaign spanning 25 missions in battles never before experienced in the Halo Universe, all played from a top-down camera view
- New and immersive storyline. An original story set between the events of "Halo 3" and "Halo 4," experience a new war with the Covenant, the first missions of the Spartan Ops program and the rise of Commander Sarah Palmer, all with best-in-class graphics and audio
- Built for simplicity. A unique fusion of touch and consolelike controls for easy pick-up-and-play gaming, with the added flexibility of keyboard and mouse controls on Windows 8 PCs and tablets2
- Integration with "Halo 4." Earn experience points (XP), all-new Achievements, and unlock emblems for your "Halo 4" Spartan career, with additional integration features available after launch
- Nonstop competitive fun. Compete against friends in Leaderboards or hone your skills against an onslaught of Weekly Challenges while collecting more than 40 in-game Achievements and Medals
- In-app purchases. Grind to earn upgrades or speed up your training by purchasing credits for boosts, unique weapons or armor abilities
- Only on Windows. Available only on Windows 8 PCs and tablets and Windows Phone 8 devices.